Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Fractal: Organized Chaos?

Excerpt from The Shack by William P. Young:

“It was chaos in color.  His eyes tried unsuccessfully to find some order in this blatant disregard for certainty.  Dazzling sprays of flowers were blasted through patches of randomly planted vegetables and herbs, vegetation the likes of which Mack had never seen.  It was confusing, stunning, and incredibly beautiful.”

“From above it’s a fractal…” Sarayu said over her shoulder.

Every step he [Mack] took changed whatever patterns he for an instant thought he had seen, and nothing was like it had been.

“A fractal…something considered simple and orderly that is actually composed of repeated patterns no matter how magnified.  A fractal is almost infinitely complex.  I love fractals, so I put them everywhere.”

“Looks like a mess to me,” said Mack.

“That IS exactly what this is—a mess.  “But,” she looked back at Mack and beamed, “it’s still a fractal, too.”


The testimony of my life could be seen as a mess.  A complete mess.  Yet repeated patterns of sin and struggles can be found throughout.  Sometimes I wonder if from above, if I could step back and see the bigger picture that God sees, if it is more like a fractal.

What seems to be a mess, is a mess…

Chaos in color…

Disregard for certainty…

Infinitely complex in it’s composed pattern…

 

Yet to Him, from His view, organized chaos.  And to Him, stunning and incredibly beautiful. 

After all, that infinitely complex composed pattern…well, He’s the composer.  In His infinite knowledge, love, and grace. 

 

In the details on any scale that my finite mind is given opportunity to see…

I pray to not miss the beauty of each individual, simple or complex, fractal of this life.

 

And now my mind wanders to ponder…do the fractals of our individual lives intertwine to make even more infinitely complex fractals?

1 comment:

AJTX said...

How wonderful to read! I have been toying with the fractal idea and finding that the more I think - the deeper it gets! You ask if our lives together make even more fractals -I sure think so. I think the Body of Christ is a huge fractal - to God it is complete - but upon magnification it's individual folks (past, present and future) and all the individual experiences of each human - and every experience in the past that affected something I became or did in the future - it's a non-ending experience and one that only God can see at this time. Mind boggling!

I'm so glad I stumbled on your blog,
AJTx