Monday, June 23, 2008

No Debate...He is The Truth

I watched “The Great Debators” last night.  Wonderful flick starring Denzel Washington, and a myriad of other great actors, some old and some new.  I was moved by so many things stated and debated, wrestled with and overcome.  One of my favorite quotes was one introduced in the beginning of the movie, and then revisited at the end with much climactic impact.

Allow me to share.

Mr. Tolson: “Who is the judge?”

Samantha, Henry, James, Hamilton (Debators): “The judge is God.”

Mr. Tolson: “Why is he God?”

Samantha, Henry, James, Hamilton (Debators): “Because he decides who wins or loses. Not my opponent.”

Mr. Tolson: “Who is your opponent?”

Samantha, Henry, James, Hamilton (Debators): “He does not exist.”

Mr. Tolson: “Why does he not exist?”

Samantha, Henry, James, Hamilton (Debators): “Because he is a mere dissenting voice of the truth I speak!”

 

So I ask myself, “What does this mean for me?  Or for us?”

Speak the Truth.

 

John 7:16-18  Jesus answered, “My teaching is not my own.  It comes from him who sent me.  If anyone chooses to do God’s will, he will find out whether I speak on my own.  He who speaks on his own does so to gain great honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of TRUTH; there is nothing false about him.”

John 14:6a  Jesus answered, “I am the way and the TRUTH and the life.”

John 16:13a  But when he, the Spirit of TRUTH, comes, he will guide you into all TRUTH.

We could go on and on…


Bottom line, there really is no debate.

God is the ultimate authority and judge.  Our enemies do not exist, nor do they have any power over us, because they are merely voices of opposition to the TRUTH we can choose to believe, to trust, and to speak. 

And He has already won.  It is done.  Finished. 

(John 19:28-30; Hebrews 9:26-28; Ephesians 1:7-8)

 

He is God.  He is Abba Father.  He is Son and Holy Spirit.  He is love.  He is hope.  He is grace.  He is good.  He is sovereign.  He is holy.  He is just.  He is mighty.  He is omnipotent.  He is perfect.  He is helper, keeper, protector, preserver, provider.  He is All in All.  He is the Alpha and the Omega.  He is the Great I Am.  He is the Way.  He is the TRUTH.

 

Be challenged today…

Truly believe.  Trust Him.  Fear nothing.  Speak the Truth.

 

 

 

No comments: